14.6.11

The Tyger vs. The Lamb

I suppose now's a good as time as any to start getting all metaphorical on you, so here we go! It has to do with 2 of van Gogh, I mean Blake's poems, called The Lamb and The Tyger. Lets begin with the obvious: The Lamb is written from the perspective of a child and talks about, well, a lamb, and The Tyger is written from the perspective of an adult about (you guessed it!), a tiger. But here's where the gray matter comes in to play, the lamb symbolizes innocence, the tiger, experience. So that's what going to battle it out tonight, because there is no way I'm going to make a lamb actually fight a tiger (even this is all in my head), PETA would kill me! Okay, so innocence, commonly associated with childhood, and usually happiness in what we have, not envying other for what they have. Untainted. Also unaware and susceptible to harm. Experience, means unhappiness, but also driven a to a goal, learned, but suspicious. May be unable to see the good in certain situations. The more I think, the more I realize that this is a very personal question. Should goodness and faith in humanity triumph, or is the world too tainted and broken to heal? What kind of character does humanity in general have? Idealist or realist? Is the glass really half-full or half-empty?
And the winner is....
The Lamb
The optimist in me won today. Many will disagree, but I would prefer to believe that for the most part, the general intent of the majority of people is good. Sure, there are a few who spoil it for everyone (like the majority of politicians), but the glass is half-full. Besides, have you seen how cute lambs are? 

No comments:

Post a Comment